It’s just a rough draft, but this is my idea for a poster. I wanted to create something encouraging people to engage in foreign languages because if I could accomplish one thing with this blog, I would hope that perhaps I could help someone get into this huge part of my life. I remember years ago, how on the fence I was about taking up a second language, and so I know I wanted to give a supportive message about starting.
Design-wise, it’s a lot simpler than I had initially planned, but decided against because things began to feel too cluttered. Keeping the principles of art, I decided to give the text throughout a hierarchy through scale, leading people downwards using continuation throughout the project. Keeping this in mind, I put the most eye-popping text near the top and made it the largest. This text was mostly just to grab someone’s attention, followed by explaining the purpose of the poster and then providing information. Using the property of similarity, I used strokes around the central text to make it feel like they belonged together, and did a similar border around the final image, and made that stroke use the texture from the dictionary to make that also feel more natural in the picture.
For the imagery of the world landmasses, I had to find a way to remove an opaque white background from the original image. The magic wand tool wouldn’t work because of the small gaps, so eventually I used the Color Range select tool, and selected the pure white background, before applying a color layer to make it all one color. Afterward, I had originally planned on using a mask to overlay the second image over just the landmasses shapes. However, this also proved troublesome, so instead, I selected the landmasses, inverted the selection, and hit delete on the layer with the dictionary.
For collecting the raw resources, it was primarily by following the websites listed on the Com210 websites as good starting places for creative commons licenses. I had originally hoped to create some resources while using photos as a base. However, this was changed because I couldn’t find any useful resources which I had the legal permission to use.