For my video I decided to go with an informative video on the Thompson Hall and the Foreign Language and Cultures department. The Thompson building has become somewhat of a second home ever since I began classes, and I when I considered my topic this seemed to fit somewhat naturally. This video goes along with the overall theme of encouraging more kids to get involved with foreign languages. While my topic was just the blanket term of “foreign languages” this is definitely the direction the blog wound up taking over the course of the class.
I was inspired by all of the introduction videos you usually see on a websites homepage. They tend to act like a longer commercial that is focused on explaining the product more than selling it. After that, I started researching the history of the department and buildings. Luckily there is an entire webpage dedicated to the story and history of WSU and can be searched by the building.
Then, I began to collect footage using a camera and tripod I had rented from the Academic Media center here on campus. I began with various establishing shots of the outside of Thompson, making sure I got long footage following the 10 second rule along with some panning shots. I then did the same for the Department’s office, the LLRC, and the halls of Thompson. I then got into contact with my teachers, and established a time where I could film my class, and received my classmate’s permission to use footage of them in class. Everyone who wasn’t okay with being in the video sat in an area of the class which wasn’t in the shot.
When editing, I tried to only using transition effects when the cuts felt particularly choppy, and tried to transition similar shots (such as the two shots of computer monitors) into each other with effects so that it would seem like an appropriate shot. Easily the biggest thing I learned about adobe was Subsequences which is basically a smaller Premiere sequence inside a sequence which can be made. This was critical for moments like the blurred out text section. I wrote the script first, and then set up my video according to it. Because of this, a lot of my cuts were made to line up with parts of my narration. For these cuts, I used the razor tool a lot. This worked exactly like the same tool in Audition, so it was what was most familiar for me.
My process from beginning to end was fairly makeshift. I began with a rough storyboard, and then filmed clips according to the storyboard. I then wrote a script for narration based on the shots I had and the storyboard. From there, I imported all the folders and arranged cut versions of the clips in alignment with the narration. I applied effects, particularly on the areas with subsequences and then found a music track last. The biggest technological challenge outside of what was fixed by subsequences was simply that the computer I was using lacked the processing power to export my video, which was fixed by using a higher end computer.
Transitioning from my first draft to the final video, I took into account a lot of the criticism I received. The only major thing I was unable to fix was some mumbling of my narration, as I unfortunately had lent out my mic and was unable to find an alternative quickly enough. I tried to use more panning footage, added some additional effects and information, and increased my voice’s volume while lowering the music in hopes to make my voice sound clearer. One useful tip I learned from this experience is that you can actually copy the effects and parameters of a video clip by copying the video and then an option to paste aspects will appear upon right clicking another clip.
The only outside materials I used was a song called Sweet Promise by Nicolai Heidlas, which I found by searching for Creative Commons songs on sound cloud: